Monday, February 08, 2010

Quick notes on radio and Mt. Tremblant

Matt Galloway on Metro Morning as of March 1
I am a big fan of Andy Barrie, current Metro Morning host on CBC Radio One, and his calm but inquisitive style. So, when it was recently announced that Barrie would be "abdicating" the position, I had my suspicions that Matt Galloway, current host of the drive home show, Here and Now, would be his replacement since he was the most frequent substitute for Barrie. It turns out that my fears are correct.
I tend not to listen to Here and Now because, while I find Galloway intelligent, I do not find him engaging. Galloway has a detached air about him that will not be easy to listen to, first thing in the morning. I can only hope that Galloway warms up in his hosting style with his move to Metro Morning.

Mont Tremblant
I visited Mont Tremblant, for the first time, over the weekend and it was amazing. The runs are numerous, lengthy, scenic, and, even on a Saturday, uncongested. While nature has been kind to the area, with spectacular views and perfect snow conditions, the people behind the operation are savvy. From the speedy lifts, to the convenient village retail, to the free parking, everything has been done to prevent stress and foresee to visitors' needs. If Blue Mountain is looking to compete with Mont Tremblant, they have a long way to go.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I believe Blue Mountain and Mt. Tremblant are both owned by Intrawest (owned by Fortress)...but seeing as they've just defaulted on their loans, any of their major ski operations in North America (including Whistler-Blackcomb) can be yours!

Dangard Ace said...

Well they're supposed to be selling the brand new ski/snowboard resort they built for the Vancouver Olympics the day after it's over..... wouldn't you rather own that instead?

Quebec drivers suck!!

Anonymous said...

I was heartbroken when I heard Andy Barrie was leaving. Who's voice will wake me up in the morning? Matt Galloway is good but just doesn't compare. I've had an attachment to Andy since my childhood, my grandmother learned to speak english listening to him on CFRB.