Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Public shame in place of self control

Ever since the new year, I have been struggling to get back into a healthy exercise routine. As much as I enjoy looking passable in a bikini, the fact is that I don't spend a lot of time scantily clad in public. Winter clothes are heavy enough to smooth over fat rolls, feeding into my illusion that everything is okay while I am busy feeding my chocolate craving.

But, everything is not okay, and it's time for an intervention. Public shame will compel me to exercise because the pleasure of working out does not provide enough incentive.

I'm going to sign up for a running event, publicly state what time I expect to finish in, then kill myself to meet expectations. For me, the stick has always worked better than the carrot.

Interventions require a circle of friends to smother the target with caring. I invite you to vote in the poll on the right as to which race I should register for. Help push my soft junk back on the wagon.

4 comments:

Flocons said...

I saw yesterday that the Biggest Loser was accepting applicants. I thought about consuming sticks of butter until I became morbidly obese, then go on the show to lose it all. I don't think that is in line with the spirit of the show though.

Jason said...

I will be similarly unsupportive and say I've gained almost 20 pounds since our daughter was born. I eat worse, and have stopped running. Maybe it's evolutionary? I.e. give children advantage (money) by offing self early. Of course, this is all predicated on them spending the funds on success-related endeavours, and not liquor.

Vicki said...

You can afford to eat a samich, skinny. Besides, once you move in, you're going to be busy all the time doing house chores and stuff. Plus you'll have stairs to climb, and a greater distance to go for groceries. It'll all balance out.

Dangard Ace said...

"Smother the target with caring"

and bags of chocolate?