Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Victoria Day Weekend for nerds

After attending a Red Eye this past weekend, it has become apparent that zombies are very fashionable right now, at least in my immediate gaming circle. In addition to the previous Red Eye favourite, Left 4 Dead, we enjoyed Call of Duty's Nazi Zombies, and Flowers vs. Zombies. The latter is a single player PopCap Game but its pedigree did not prevent it from turning members of the party into intense, zombie killing gardeners.

It is hard to say what makes zombie killing so appealing for everyone but for myself, I enjoy the guiltfree killing spree that I can engage in. The practice has all the moral satisfaction of weeding but with the bonus of the weeds being human shaped, mobile and hostile to my well-being.

When the gaming was over, Joe and I went to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine because we already saw Star Trek last weekend (and it was excellent). I am in agreement with the majority of critics that Hugh Jackman is the only strength in an otherwise mediocre movie. However, in an exchange after the credits had rolled, a fellow audience member and a theatre employee put it best:
"It was better than X-Men 3."
"Yeah. At least Brett Ratner couldn't touch this one."

No comments: