Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday Night Play List: In the future

I am going to go out on a limb and recommend two movies that I have yet to see. Both have gotten overwhelmingly 'Fresh' ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, but more importantly, they both focus on senior protagonists. As the Baby Boomer generation enter their twilight years, advertisers are quick to cater to such a significant consumer population, and senior citizens have become more visible in the media. Only time will tell if depictions of old age will be more like these movies or more like Grandpa Simpson.

Up (2009) - Everyone has seen the trailer with the cute old man, the cute boy scout, and the cute talking dog. What I have only heard about is the touching six minute intro that encapsulates the protagonist's life with his late wife. I fear that I will sob my way through a wad of tissue, like I did with Wall-E.

Away From Her (2007) - Twenty-something year old Sarah Polley surprised everyone with her directorial debut about a couple whose 50 year marriage is threatened by the onset of Alzheimer's. The wife's self-imposed exile into an old age home to prevent herself from becoming a burden to her husband is the stuff of my most realistic nightmares. Worth another box of tissue, for sure.

1 comment:

celestialspeedster said...

I saw Up this past weekend and it was excellent: less talkative than The Incredibles, sadder than Wall-E. Rarely do you see a film, much less one that is accessible to kids, that trusts the audience fill in the blanks with their own emotions.