Monday, May 25, 2009

Like the Littlest Hobo...but angrier

After just over two years at my current position, I may be on the lookout for greener pastures. It appears that I have assumed the role of my boss's least favourite person in the office, since the previous occupant took mental stress leave. Initially, I was comfortable being the lone person to say 'no' to my boss's panic-driven initiatives, like photocopying, addressing and distributing 200+ copies of a union booklet in an afternoon for fear of being reprimanded by the union. Yet, being the lone dissenter has its downsides.

Recent drama in my workplace have included:
  • My boss checking with my immediate supervisor regarding my workload and deciding to add to that workload without consulting me. It is worthy to note that I had just returned from a holiday, was catching up and actually had plenty to do outside of my immediate supervisor's jurisdiction. I was challenged to list all of my current projects then met with predetermined hostile indifference.
  • Asking for vacation time only to be taken into a meeting where my job description was cited like a contract negotiation. When it occurred to me that my boss had made up her mind before I ever had the chance to offer possible solutions, like unpaid overtime prior to departure, I was forced to listen to the boss and immediate supervisor tag-team me with repetitive officiousness.
Since it has become clear that my boss's reflexive dislike of me will henceforth put me at a disadvantage in terms of work and benefits allocation, it is probably time to find a new position. As they sing in "The Littlest Hobo": "Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Maybe tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on." How I hated that show.

No comments: