Saturday, January 24, 2009

Winter has its uses

In the past 10 years, I've skied a handful of times but I had only "snowboarded" once. I use the quotations because my experience consisted of relieving a tired friend of her snowboard rental then rolling in the snow for the next hour because I had no idea what I was doing. For the brief seconds that I was in a vertical position, I felt like I was rushing recklessly to my doom. In comparison, skiing was the safer and more productive choice.

I was put off snowboarding until Dangard Ace recently alerted me to a Blue Mountain special offered in conjunction with National Ski & Snowboard Week (January 19-23, 2009). A beginner lift, lesson and rental package for $39 was an offer that I could not resist and I decided to give snowboarding another chance.

As is usually the case when I sign up for outdoor adventure lessons, I was tutored by at least one Red Bull-toting jock who was contemptuous of my inability to roll forward onto my board. After one painful crawl down a bunny slope made up entirely of unsuccessful attempts to stand up on my board, I decided that flipping myself onto my stomach to push myself onto my feet would be a more productive strategy. A more helpful coach then taught me how to hop to a forward facing position once I was on my feet. After learning how to brake - always a useful skill - I was able to glide down the slope, making 'S's all the way.

Snowboarding seems to be synonymous with risky behaviour. Whereas I can be conservative and slow in my skiing, snowboarding requires a full commitment to a wider turn radius and faster speed in order to stay upright. Having learned the basics of snowboarding, the adrenaline rush has now become enjoyable as opposed to bowel-emptying.

As I relaxed in the waters of Le Scandinave Spa that evening, I found myself visualizing carving snow instead of enjoying the beautiful surroundings and the therapeutic waters. On the long ride home from Blue Mountain, I was mentally correcting my positioning and posture. I asked Joe that night when we can go snowboarding again. This sounds like the start of an addiction.

1 comment:

Dangard Ace said...

F it. 4th time because Blogspot is pissing me off.

Go here and join this FREE club. Really good blog by Brad Haffey for Beginner and Newbie boarders. Tips and lessons via videos.

http://www.torontosnow.com/profiles/blogs/learning-to-snowboard-for