Friday, October 10, 2008

No whine, please

I've decided on a new personal resolution that will probably be harder than my brief foray into full-time vegetarianism: I'm going to try to give up whining.

whine
noun –verb (used without object)
1. to utter a low, usually nasal, complaining cry or sound, as from uneasiness, discontent, peevishness, etc.: The puppies were whining from hunger.
2. to snivel or complain in a peevish, self-pitying way: He is always whining about his problems. –verb (used with object)
3. to utter with or as if with a whine: I whined my litany of complaints. –noun
4. a whining utterance, sound, or tone.
5. a feeble, peevish complaint.

This is going to be hard because I live in a city of whiners; people who bitch about the weather, their jobs, or just about anything that tickles their fancy. Wait! Is that statement a whine?

For the next week, I will aim for 'stoic' rather than 'bottle of sunshine'. I am also giving the people around me permission to slap me if they hear a nasally sound escape from my mouth. And I will probably thank them for the effort, though not if it is excessively hard. Hopefully, friends on whine patrol will also refrain from whining around me because peer pressure and enabling make recovery much harder.

Until next Friday, no whine with my cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Denise, I want to commend your foray into this challenging new area. In my old dojo, we had a big sign at the front of the class that had the words "whine" spelled out against that red circle with the single line running through it - just like the "no smoking" signs - there was to be "no whining" in the class. To extend this policy outside into the "real world" where, as you say, whiners about by the thousands, can be tough, but very much worth the effort. Deciding to change your mind about the way you think and respond to "so-called" unpleasant situations is an excellent way to improve one's overall mood, and thus, health. I will be very happy and honoured to help you with this endeavor - instead of a slap to the face, may I tap your left temple with a swift kick? It would be so much more entertaining for us both! (...just kidding of course, how about more cartweeks in next week's yoga class instead?)