Thursday, July 09, 2009

Give-It-A-Tri - failz

One incident that I failed to mention from my weekend at Pine Haven was the rolling of my ankle. Even with hiking boots, my ankles are weak and less challenging environments, like a set of stairs, have caused my ankles to betray me.

I pushed through the pain with exercise over the weekend and was pretty much recovered when I absentmindedly jumped over a knee high barrier on the way to work yesterday. That was when I landed on the same ankle but on concrete and with as much force as a jump will bring. It was as painful as it sounds.

As I gimped my way to work and then lunch, my injured ankle inflated to cankle-like proportions. When I finally left work early to see my personal physician, she started by suggesting an x-ray, to which I responded by clutching my head and wailing. The x-ray was ruled out since a breakage was highly unlikely, which meant that I was probably suffering from a bad sprain.

I casually mentioned the Give-It-A-Tri and my doctor's eyes grew wide. So, my bid at a mini-triatholon in August is out. If taking an injury before the event was a given, then the timing couldn't have been better since I can request the highest level of entry fee refund at this time. Still, it is disappointing to be forced to quit when so much progress has been made in the past five weeks.

I pray that a similar disaster does not strike my Nuit Blanche project.

2 comments:

fi said...

Poor you! Gimp your way to my place for dinner and UFC. :)

Yvette said...

No, you're Nuit Blanche project will ROCK!!! I will be there cycling like a mad woman to help inspire amazed passerby.
It's a terrible shame about missing the tri - but look at it this way, you're dedication to your training and the results are very impressive and even if you can't show it in August - your body feels amazing and you know what you are capable of. Good for you - I was just this past weekend telling a friend about how excellent I thought your self discipline was.