Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Aim high or aim low?

My birthday falls on a Monday this year so I've requested a vacation on that day because, even though I mock Joe for taking the week of his birthday off, I would feel pathetic shuffling paperwork on my special day.

I have two strategies in mind for my birthday long weekend: high end or low end. High end entails taking advantage of a last minute flight and hotel deal. This will cost a few hundred dollars per person, at the very least, but remains appealing because we have never been so shotgun in our vacation planning.

If a good vacation package fails to pop up, then I will aim to spend as little money as possible on my birthday. Months ago, I noted that the Elmwood Spa offers a free three course lunch on your birthday as long as you eat between Monday and Thursday, which I can! There are also free birthday meal offers from Tucker's Market Place, Lick's, and Casey's, as well as free dessert at numerous other restaurants.

I would be happy to hear about any other birthday freebies since this could become a challenge to see how much I can milk a date that my peers are increasingly ceasing to acknowledge.

And it goes without saying that I would love some companionship since eating a free meal is hardly satisfying without a paying companion to gaze at you resentfully.

3 comments:

Dangard Ace said...

Aim high. What's the point of aiming low when you can go to the spa any day of the week already?

Six Degrees said...

Aim in the middle. Go to Collingwood and go zip-lining!
Btw, Tortilla flats also has a b-day promotion of some sort.

Jason said...

This is a great idea! I like that you are aiming very high and very low, all at the same time. Jennie and I can potentially join you for dinner, or we can split it up and do early (w/ her) & late (w/ me) dinner, so you can get more free meals!