Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Stomach: ready to rumble

Somewhere between dreams of cannibalism and leading innocent friends astray at dim sum, I like to experiment with food. To be clear, I enjoy eating unusual food prepared by people with skill, as opposed to preparing food, in which my specialties tend to run the gamut of bland to tasteless.

So when Flocons recommended Charlie's Burgers, which he described as "a mix of Fight Club and Summerlicious," I signed up right away.

Other friends did not submit their answers to Charlie's food survey as quickly for fear of being rejected. In the days that followed, I got a little worried that the answers that I had provided, while truthful, were not refined enough. A sample of my palate:
What are your 3 favourite restaurants in Toronto?
Ajisen Ramen
Xe Lua Restaurant
Fresh Restaurant
(I can't claim that any of the pricier restaurants that I have visited are my favourite since I do not dine there regularly but I really enjoyed Cowbell.)

What would your last meal on earth be?

Something familiar and hefty like: a sweet potato soup to start; a medium rare Kobe beef steak with roasted zucchini, red and green peppers, asparagus, and artichokes; finish off with apple pie crumble with a side of black sesame ice cream.

Anything else you want to tell us about yourself?

I will eat practically anything. Even if you were to serve me insects, I will eat them as long as they no longer look like insects.
Happily, just over a week later, I got Charlie's approval along with a sample menu to whet my appetite! Maybe the promise of a guest who will eagerly pay to eat something gross got their attention. Or maybe they're just looking to avoid diners who will prod their dish suspiciously and whine, "Whaaat's this?" Rest assured, Charlie, I am not that person.

1 comment:

Flocons said...

Jealousy and envy! I have not heard anything from Charlie's Burgers yet. Maybe even the most well-thought out answers can't mask the fact that my favorite meal is a greasy cheeseburger and fries...