Thursday, April 02, 2009

Latest obsession: My Hoi Bo bag

The 2009 One of a Kind Spring Show proved to be very good to me. For one thing, I was well fed - gratis! My association with a more reputable online publication than this blog gave me access to the Media Breakfast, held about an hour before opening.

Matthew B. Foote, Executive Chef at Elora Mill Inn, prepared the following menu for the press:
Heirloom Carrot and Orange Juice
Apple Cider with Star Anise
Wild Pacific Smoked Salmon
Westphalian Ham
Fine Canadian Cheeses
Wild Flower Honey Comb
Assorted Artisan Bread
Grilled Back Bacon with Maple Gastrique
Pain Perdue Filled with 20 Hour Apples
"AF 4109 UG Research" Snake Egg Tarts with Thunder Oak Gouda
Crisp Heirloom Potato Confit
Centre Wellington County Maple Syrup

My friend and I took the snake eggs all in stride but the dish turned out to be an April Fool's joke on the part of the chef. Regular chicken eggs left us a little disappointed in theory but not in taste.

With full stomachs, we went strong for three hours, fulfilling my responsibility to the publication that helped get us fed, and getting some shopping in at the same time.

Eve Gravel failed to offer the right sizes for the pieces that I was interested in (a problem that was driving Eve crazy). However, I consoled myself with my single purchase from the OOAK: my Portrait bag by Hoi Bo (seen above). Handcrafted in Toronto, it is easily one of the chicest and most grown up bags that I have ever purchased. Not only does the bag look attractive but it smells delicious, too; the bag's fabric was hand waxed with pure beeswax. The result is a durable finish, made to match the solid hardware and soft leather handles, which reportedly require 45 minutes of work alone to attach to the bag.

With this bag, I overcame my phobia of shoulder bags. Time will tell if my back problems overcome my vanity.

See this great highlight of the OOAK Spring Show for further enticement.

2 comments:

Ola said...

How much to the bags usually go for?

celestialspeedster said...

I bought the Portrait bag for $318 - the most that I have every paid for a bag, but it has been worth it. I have used the bag practically every day since purchasing it. It has proven to be hardy in all weather conditions since it is water repellent and it is aging beautifully.