Sunday, February 08, 2009

Latest obsession: Moustaches

In two recent blogs, I waxed on poetically about Michael Imperioli's amazing moustache in "Life on Mars", and recommended In the Cut, which features a creepily appealing moustached Mark Ruffalo (seen above). What I have yet to mention is my current obsession with the Bing Bong Brothers song, which features handle bar moustaches.

The moustache is synonymous with the 1970s dirtbag; the male cop who carries a loaded gun in his pants at all times. Perhaps, the mainstream is ready to embrace this brute as an antidote to actors like Orlando Bloom, whose delicate jaw could only be fertile ground for the downiest of facial hair. Or maybe, I just don't like Orlando Bloom.

Yesterday, while visiting the Drake Hotel General Store (1144 Queen St. W.), I came across some Plushtaches - knit moustaches handmade by Shannon Gerard because "A plush moustache is the next best thing". Clearly, Gerard is on to something because I bought two right away.

I plan to send one moustache across the pond to a friend in Glasgow who frequently wears false moustaches because she likes to look like a old timer. I am keeping the other moustache to act as a cozy for when Joe and I kiss, because Joe has grown a moustache and beard. I approve of the look but not the rug burn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait....aren't you the one that's always going on about moustaches = pedophiles?

celestialspeedster said...

I can't deny that. It sounds like something I would say. However, I can guarantee that I do not find pedophiles attractive; maybe only dirtbags.