Saturday, June 14, 2008

Must be seen to be believed

My Motorola V551 has served me well in the last three years, allowing me to capture random images every day. As the end of my wireless contract approaches, I am contemplating new cell phone options. In the meantime, here are some images from my Motorola V551.

A movie poster seen at Pacific Mall. Supposedly, Michael Madsen and Ron Livingston star in Gurds the Ainst but the imagery features Simon Pegg from Hot Fuzz, an action movie spoof, and
Brazilian supermodel, Gisele Bundchen. WTF?

The worst sports bag I have ever seen. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to capture it. In case you can't make out the details, it's an Air Jordan messenger bag where the bottom of the bag is made out of the sole of a running shoe (presumably Air Jordans). I tried to be subtle as I scurried after the bag's owner, my camera phone held as close to the bag as possible, but truly, I was prepared to tell the man what I thought of his bag if confronted.

Before Flocons referred to the Supreme Master in response to my temporary vegetarianism, I had seen this poster in the TTC subway. The cost of placing ads in the TTC usually weeds out the bizarre yet this one saved up its pennies and got through. I encourage you to visit the website, http://suprememastertv.com/ and try to make sense of it.

Before closing for its renovation, the Art Gallery of Ontario had an exhibition where Julian Opie illustrations were juxtaposed with Henry Moore sculptures. It was a weak installation but my friends and I had fun photographing ourselves with the donut-headed strippers. We were approached by one of the security guards who told us to stop photographing the work. When I ask why, she explained that the work would be damaged by photography. "But my camera phone doesn't have a flash and it's digital," I protested. The guard continued to insist that physical damage was being done to the work and insisted that I erase my photos. "Done," I said, as I turned the camera feature off without actually deleting any files. After the guard walked away, I took a few more photos just because I could. As camera phones become more ubiquitous, it will be harder to fool people like security guards, but camera phones are still a great way to get photos on the sly.

Now, for the future! Joe has been arguing in favour of the Nokia N95 which has a more powerful camera than the Nokia N73. My eye tells me that the N73 takes better photos even with the weaker specs. Both are highly favoured by the Flickr community. Check out the photos and please comment - I would love to hear opinions on which is better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing those Supreme Master ads - and spent weeks trying to decipher them. I finally figured it was skype for TV - on your computer - maybe....but it was very strange. I can't believe they managed to save enough money to post that in Toronto!! Who is their target market?!!