Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Jamie Kennedy experience

I went to Jamie Kennedy at the Gardiner (JK@G) for lunch today. I had dreamed of eating there ever since my visit to the Gardiner Museum. So, when my boss, Bob proposed taking me and my co-worker, AL, out to lunch at the Gardiner, it was a dream come true!

Being predominantly in the lunch business, with only dinner served on Friday nights, the dining room was comfortably filled to capacity during our visit. The interior of JK@G is minimalist in aesthetic with the emphasis placed on the views outside, unobstructed by the floor to ceiling windows.

Bob, AL and I had been salivating over the online menu but found it changed on the day of our meal. The Duck Confit ($20) that I had decided to have, after debating with AL whether it was rude to order the most expensive dish on the menu, was not offered. Instead, I ordered the Black Cod with Spring Vegetable Ragout ($18), which Bob also decided to have. AL chose the Sea Scallops with Pork Belly ($18). Bob also ordered an appetizer to share: Cherry Wood Smoked Salmon with Fried Olives and Organic Egg ($14).

The server brought us fresh sourdough to whet our appetites along with butter, pepper puree and another orange puree that was equally delicious. When the Smoked Salmon appetizer arrived, we peered at the two tiny pieces until Bob judiciously created three equal portions. The salmon was unlike any that I have had before - perhaps it was the cherry wood influence. The fried olives were too small to savour for long. The organic eggs tasted like normal eggs.

I was disappointed with my black cod dish. Having cooked black cod many times back when it was plentiful in supply, I know how easily it can be made delicious due to its naturally sweet flavour. My black cod at JK@G was completely flavourless, in spite of having its skin fried to a crispy finish. The ragout was also underwhelming with a flavour that I promptly forgot. AL found her pork belly too salty and was surprised with the puniness of her scallops.

Fortunately, JK@G did dessert right. I got the Flourless Chocolate Cake ($7), as did Bob the biter. AL got the Banana and Dulce de Leche Cake ($7). Both desserts were accompanied by nutty flavoured sorbets and various berries that truly complemented the pastry. The banana cake looked more like a homemade muffin but turned out to be a moderate yet complex experience. The chocolate cake was dense without being heavy.

Bob, AL and I wandered onto the balcony afterwards to admire the ROM and the neighbouring buildings before wandering down the attractive stairwell and out the front door.

As we walked back to work, we entered a cinematic dimension. A guy on a bike was whizzing by when he stopped suddenly to ask if Bob was, in fact, sci-fi author, William Gibson. As he spoke, I suddenly realized that the guy on the bike was a former high school classmate who I had not seen in nearly a decade. I called to him in vain as he remained starstruck in the presence of Bob. It was like a French farce with a case of mistaken identity and genuine confusion. Bob finally confirmed that he was not William Gibson ("I can't believe he called my research science fiction," Bob later quipped), and I directed my sheepish former classmate to message me on Facebook. Everything had returned to normal and we strolled merrily back to our office.

No comments: