Thursday, March 01, 2007

Up Yours, Dove! Part 2

In a previous blog, "Join the cult, buy Dove", I argued that Dove had failed to fully saturate the 'sharing and caring' market. I now eat my words because Dove cares enough to help poor, dark Indian women become white and successful.

Unilever, the caring corporation behind the Dove brand, also produces a line sold in India called Fair & Lovely. It is a skin whitening cream. The commercial for the line tells the story of an Indian girl who tries to get a job at a "modern beauty company" but is rejected because of her tan. Her father promptly whips up an ancient concoction that turns his daughter into a pale beauty. The girl is a sucker for punishment, returning to the company that rejected her but her moon face dazzles some male executive and soon, she's flying in a plane and getting snapped by paparazzi.

Fair & Lovely is not marketed in Canada because it does not fit easily into Dove's 'real beauty' campaign.

By the way, if Dove wants to promote real beauty, I wish they would stop featuring older women with extraordinary bodies in their Pro-Age advertising campaign. I would be a more realistic though less appealing model for while I am almost half the age of some of the models, my big, cellulite-filled ass could use some of that amazing Dove cream.

1 comment:

Flocons said...

Hot diggity damn! It's exactly what I need to complete the final phase of my whiteness-transformation process. After the turtleneck sweaters and khakis, I figure this is the only thing left to scrub away my shameful ethnicity. Where do I buy that stuff? (I'm kidding.)