Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Grab bag of suspense

When I was a kid, the local convenience store offered grab bags for a dollar. Inside small white paper bags, stapled shut so you couldn't peek, would be a random toy and some candy. I don't quite remember the toys beyond the fact that they were colourful and plastic, but I do remember the feeling of repeat disappointment. I expected something amazing and instead, I got something that clearly left a huge profit margin for the storeowner.

It seems that the mystery purchase is making a comeback and I took the bait. On a recent visit to Made in China, an "Asian fusion" restaurant at 371 Yonge Street, we were titillated by the Tasting Menu. It was the meal equivalent of a grab bag for $9.99 and it made no promises. A list of questions and answer in the menu included helpful tidbits like:
Q: What is in there to eat exactly?
A: How the heck do I know? Don't ask me - our cooks are crazy and incontrollable
Despite the threat of insanity, the appetizer, soup and main course turned out to be quite ordinary. No fried bees nor chicken feet for us, which was disappointing. In the very least, it makes for a boring anecdote.
The latest mystery purchase to come to my attention is from Speck, maker of device cases. They are having a Mystery Case of the Week feature where you pay $9.99 plus shipping and Speck sends you a random case. It sounds all wonderfully chaotic but it turns out that you can specify which device you would like the case for, like the iPod, etc. Again, kind of boring, and since I don't have any of the devices they accessorize, I probably will not purchase a mystery case.
I do remember one good payout from a capsule machine. While at the local Dominions, I managed to beg 25 cents off my grandmother to try my luck at a capsule machine offering gaudy gold tone jewellery. The centrepiece prize on display was a jade horn pendant, which most kids never win. Personally, I was aiming for the gold link bracelet. Then, to my astonishment, I actually got the jade horn pendant. The kid standing beside me stared in disbelief and promptly ran over to try his luck at the same machine. Sadly, he got the equivalent of the gold link bracelet. I think I might have laughed at him from a safe distance. My ugly jade horn pendant and the accompanying experience has ensured that anytime anyone waves a mystery bag in my face, I am sorely tempted to reach for my wallet.

No comments: