Friday, March 17, 2006

True radio head


Up until recently, I started my mornings with CFRB 1010 Talk Radio. I enjoyed the manic pace of the news, which contrasted nicely with the voice of Ted Woloshyn, the most haggard sounding morning guy I've ever heard. But AM radio is unreliable in an apartment. Some mornings, I would wake up to not only Ted but also a high pitched whine and lots of static.

As a result, I've started listening to CBC Radio One on the FM dial in the morning, and I feel calmer and better informed. Slowly but surely, CBC Radio has been replacing CFRB on my radio during the rest of the day as well.

For years, my parents complained that CFRB stressed them out and I finally have to agree. Listening to the knee jerk reactions of whichever listener can dial the fastest is no longer entertaining. And the time that each listener is given to air their views really does depend on whether they agree with the host.

My preferred CFRB hosts are slotted in times that do not correspond with my listening habits. John Moore (3-6pm) and Jim Richards (8-11pm) are hilarious. Unfortunately, I hardly ever hear them anymore. Instead, I was stuck listening to uninformed and archaic idiots, The Motts (1-3pm) and the most boring gay, former drug addict in the world, Mark Elliot (11pm-1am).

I've started listening to CBC Radio shows like The Current (8:30-10am), and I've been given a view beyond my immediate experience and the city limits. For instance, today I learned about growing concern that the Netherlands is not as welcoming of immigrants as it once was. The liberal reputation of the Netherlands is under fire due to an 'educational film' featuring kissing men and a topless female sunbather supposedly being shown to prospective immigrants. Critics claim the film is meant to deter Muslim immigration and is feeding into the growing conservative climate. It boggled my mind that 'conservative' in the Netherlands still manages to be associated with what most Americans consider very left wing (i.e. gay marriage).

Meanwhile, over at CFRB, I used to listen to hosts debate the latest pop psychology study proving how different men and women are. This would be followed by various calls from listeners who would cite personal experience as solid evidence. It made me want to pull my hair out to listen to such smallmindedness and how readily the hosts presented topics that maintain the status quo.

CFRB hosts have defended the talk radio format as a way for the average person to have their views aired. To deny the opinions of the average CFRB listener is to be called elitist and unrealistic.

Simply listening to the rabble of the population does not take into account the opinions of the quieter, more mild mannered members of society. A majority of listeners either do not attempt to call in or never make it through. Hence, the frequent announcement: "I'm a first time caller."

As well, I would refer to the saying, 'One cannot survive on bread alone'. I like that CBC Radio takes me outside my everday petty cares while remaining relevant. To simply listen to a regurgitation of what you already know does not advance your knowledge of the world or yourself. By confirming that a greater world exists out there, CBC Radio allows me to think and dream of what is possible.

By the way, that's a photo of Jian Ghomeshi, the host of CBC Radio's The National Playlist. I actually try to clear up my work schedule so that I can listen from 11:30am to 12pm, Mondays to Fridays, without being interrupted. I refuse to vote until I'm well informed.

No comments: