Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Lots to talk about

Thanks to the unseasonably cold winter that Toronto has been experiencing, talking about the weather has become a solid conversation starter.

While waiting for the elevator recently with a delivery man, I decided to fill the dead air with a "Is it still freezing outside?" What would have been a non-starter during the mild winters of previous years now prompted the delivery man to not only give a weather forecast but to also elaborate on the effects of global warming. The time we spent walking to our destination was amicably filled up.

This leads me to admit that, other than the weather, I don't have much to write about. However, I would like to point to a new foodie blog listed under my 'Links' called This is why you're fat: where dreams become heart attacks. My current favourite entry is "Sandwich Cake": A layer of deviled ham, chicken salad and olive-nut spread between a whole loaf white bread surrounded by four packages of strawberry cream cheese. It's dainty and monstrous at the same time.

All those who would invite me to a potluck in the future, be warned: I intend to take advantage of the opportunity to recreate one of the magical dishes found on that site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That site is disgusting! It should be called "White trash gourmet" or something...