Thursday, March 26, 2009

I'll miss Dave Devall

Having reported the weather for the last 48 years on CTV, Dave Devall has become the consummate weatherman for many Torontonians. I was just reminiscing about how I've grown up watching Dave when it was announced at the beginning of February that he would be retiring. The 60 day tribute is almost at an end and soon, Tom Brown will step in as the weather anchor.

Since I am familiar with Tom Brown, I can already see that it won't be the same. Dave has always had a gentleman's bearing, probably a product of his coming of age in the 1950s, in spite of the requisite weatherman wackiness. Tom Brown is wacky but with a hint of mania; watching him will be like watching Jim Carrey. I don't like Jim Carrey.

People can become emotionally attached to their weatherman. In a blog entry that probably makes Michael Kuss cry into his pillow, Flocons railed against the replacement of Harold Hosein. The heated debate about Michael Kuss continues even after nearly two years since the changeover. CTV is probably trying to circumvent this public outrage with their '60 Days of Dave' celebration.

If Tom Brown also fails to do it for you, Joe would probably suggest his favourite meterologist, who he refers to as 'The Cheerful Brit', Claire Martin. There is never a crack or strain in Claire's chipper disposition when she gives the national weather forecast on CBC. My only complaint would be that Torontonians do not see enough of her, since she is based in British Columbia.

The only CTV (formerly CFTO) talking head left from my childhood is Jim Junkin. As the crime reporter, Junkin has probably conveyed a less lovable image to the public than Dave, but his stalwart demeanor and 1950s styling are remnants of a dying breed on television.

2 comments:

derald cudney said...

DAVE, I'm unofficially representing WIARTON WILLY, and I would like to congratulate you on your retirement after elegantly reporting the weather all these years..Finally I can have my old job back!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you are being unfair to Tom Brown.He is bringing his own style to the show.It's time to let go of the old.Tom has a lot of energy,is always cheerful and gets right in the community.I find him very refreshing.