Friday, September 19, 2008

My body betraying me

My vacations are usually the kind of experience that leaves me exhausted and worse for wear. I have eased back since my trip to London, where my non-stop walking left my back so sore that coughing hurt.

Regardless of my increased kindness to myself, ever since my return from San Diego and San Francisco (anecdotes to come), I have had a steady stream of health problems. I have forgone a visit the doctor in every instance, choosing instead to refer to the internet and resort to bed rest. Chris Rock's father would be proud, if I did not live in the land of universal health care, in which case he would probably call me an idiot.

Common cold - roughly 2 weeks of recovery
Immediately after returning home, I took on the cold from hell. A sore throat quickly became a runny nose, congestion, and extreme fatigue. I amazed myself by sleeping all day, waking up to eat, then returning to bed to pass out for the rest of the night. It looked bad when I called in sick the first day back from vacation, after a civic long weekend, but it couldn't be helped. I was a wreck.

Midsummer's Night Run 15K - one week of recovery
Admittedly, this was self-inflicted; I ran 15 km after four weeks spent running 5 km at most or not running at all due to the cold. Luckily, I suffered nothing more than the usual stiff gait, reminiscent of M. Piedlourde, which amused my co-workers.

Diarrhea - roughly one week of recovery
It was hard to figure out what triggered my problems since I ate many delicious, special occasion foods the Sunday before my bout of diarrhea. I took the Monday off and my co-workers, without a doubt, rolled their eyes. For the next five days, I had the ass that would not quit. After suffering for four days, I referred to the internet, which told me that I should have checked in with a doctor two days earlier. I was also amazed to learn that large amounts of fibre and milk made diarrhea worse. I did not go to a doctor and only ate cheese once before my intestinal tract fully recovered.

Angular Cheilitis - two weeks and counting
What started out as a crack in the corner of my mouth, which I callously picked at, proved to be something more than a one time anomaly when it appeared on the other side of my mouth. I only checked the internet after suffering for a week and found out that I should be moisturizing instead of drying out the problem. The cause is usually a vitamin deficiency but only a blood test can confirm which one. I have accepted that there are mysteries in life that may never be resolved and caked on petroleum jelly.

Undiagnosed back problem - two days and counting
I walked without issue to work yesterday but, by noon, I was hunched over like a crone, unable to stand upright. Sneezing and laughing hurt, which meant that, technically, my co-workers were laughing at me and not with me, as I shuffled around the office. With a week to go before the Toronto Waterfront Half-Marathon, I have finally decided to enlist the professional (and costly) help of a chiropractor, which I am scheduled to meet with tomorrow. In the meantime, I have taken another day off from work and thank the stars that I am unionized.

6 comments:

Dangard Ace said...

Could the problem be your diet? To me it seems to be irregular. You go five days without meat, your body starts to acclimatize to that and then you shock it wtih beef on the weekends. Maybe a more moderate approach is needed in which you have a small bit of meat daily instead large hunks in sporadic spurts.

My completely unprofessional opinion as a self declared Meat-a-tarian.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you're just getting old and your body is falling apart?

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

I mean, think about me: I used to be a hard-bodied Calvin Klein underwear model, and now I'm...well, in worse shape. :)

celestialspeedster said...

Meat shock sounds a lot like Heny science.

And I'm not that old. No, really.

Flocons said...

I felt we've been due for a blog entry from either you or Vicki about your GI tract! Seriously though, maybe it's time to give your body a bit of a break as you've been pretty intense for the last few months. After the half-marathon this weekend, I say you follow my plan. Sit on a couch and feel your muscles atrophy in joy.

Dangard Ace said...

Well during the week is when you seem the most active(sometimes insanely so) and when your body needs protein the most but you don't eat meat during that time. During the weekend I think you said is when you are the most inactive(resting) but you eat meat during this time. I would think this would create an imbalance in your body....but again I'm no doctor.

If you want to call my observations Heny Science/Meat Shock that's fine but if you really are in that much pain I would urge you to see a doctor.

Cheli said...

Sorry to hear about your struggle with cheilitis. It is an awful condition to have and I hope it went away fast.