Friday, August 08, 2008

All that I could have been

The fluoride in the water controversy is back and now, critics are claiming that fluoride can have a detrimental effect on children's IQ.

Also being debated: whether breastfeeding brings about higher intelligence.

Combine my childhood consumption of tap water with the fact that my mother did not breast feed me, and, boy, do I feel stupid.

I do get tired of the hand wringing over mere points in IQ. Why do people search for minute indicators for why their children are underachieving when their children are, for instance, watching inane television shows instead of doing their homework?

Yes, I drank fluoride water because experts thought it was good for my teeth. And I was fed formula because my doctor claimed that it was better than breast milk. In spite of all this, I believe that I have an average IQ because weighing against the fluoride and formula was the fact that I read a lot of books when I was growing up. Also, I was fat because I ate alot and didn't exercise much. It's Ockham's razor.

1 comment:

Flocons said...

I blame the Oral-B dentists for pushing the the fluoride agenda.