Thursday, August 14, 2008

Aim for zero

I can confirm, using the nifty iGoogle tool, that as of this moment on Day 6 of the Beijing Olympics, the Canadian medal count is zero.

Broadcasters and journalists seem to be relatively optimistic that Canada will win a medal soon. Currently, Canada is being beaten in the medal count by powerhouses like Armenia, Togo and Uzbekistan.

However, I would like to state for the record that I hope that Canada comes away with zero medals. This is a terrible thing to wish on the Canadian athletes who have worked so hard to make it to the Olympics. However, I think extreme failure is what is required for increased success in the future.

Many supporters like to point to a lack of funding as the reason why Canadian athletes fail to excel on the international athletics scene. Without a doubt, financial support is what has helped the American and Chinese teams succeed since it has allowed their athletes to concentrate on training full-time.

However, how does one explain the success of athletes from countries like Armenia or Kazakhstan (4 medals each)? I have my doubts that their athletes enjoy the same quality of life as Canadian ones.

One of the most annoying aspects of watching the Olympics on CBC is the unwavering optimism and good sportsmanship of the broadcasters and the athletes, respectively. CBC will cheerfully do a roll call of mediocrity in which John Doe was disqualified in first round while Jane Doe finished 17th overall. Then the athletes who are interviewed will say how happy they are to have competed in the Olympics or done a personal best. One sad schmuck said he was happy to have even swam in the same heat as Michael Phelps.

Where is the killer instinct? Where is the bravado? Why should being Canadian be equated with being a good loser and a cheerful supporter of mediocrity?

Zero medals is what Canada needs. Anything more, like tying with Kazakhstan, will only confirm the status quo for the athletes and organizers who will remain happy to have just shown up.

7 comments:

Flocons said...

My feelings are mixed on this. Yes, I want our athletes to do well in the Olympics... but at the same time I feel there are more important places to be putting our money. From the medal count, it's obvious that our athletes are underfunded and undersupported... but I also don't want Canada to join an "Olympics arms race" to compete with countries that are willing to throw crazy amounts of money at their athletes.

To sum it up: I want Olympic success, but I don't want to pay for it. It's a bit of a paradox, but I'm comfortable with it.

Dangard Ace said...

I'm all in favor of an Olympics arms race. If my time in Dragonboat has shown anything I'm a medal whore. Come bitches! Look at my shiny bling bling! The current medal count is extremely disgraceful. Cut operating expenses for all those fat cat politicians and put that money into Athletic funding.

The only athlete who shown any fire after losing was the one they reprimanded for being "un-Canadian".

As Mr. Incredible would say, "They keep creating new ways of celebrating mediocrity".

celestialspeedster said...

Better funding of Canadian athletes would be great but what I am really endorsing in my rant is a more competitive spirit.

I believe the "un-Canadian" athlete that Dangard Ace is referring to was swimmer, Brent Hayden. Hayden is quoted as saying,"I wanted to win a medal. I thought we would have a medal."

That's the right attitude!

Dangard Ace said...

Actually I was thinking of Sherraine Schalm,(fencing) whom cbc was giving grief after her match and during her interview earlier this morning but yes Brent is another example. Show some fire, some spirit that you're going to push harder, that you CAN play at that level. That I can respect and admire in our athletes. Not a lackadaisical attitude that even your best can't match the top contender BUT it's a Canadian best record. Sean Connery said it best in The Rock. "You're best? Losers whine about your best. Winners go home and F the prom queen."

Looking for the video clips on http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/ondemand/

Vicki said...

Well, you know us Canadians, eh?
"We're just here to have fun, eh? It's, er, not winning or losing, but how you play the game, eh?"

I wouldn't mind showing the world our teeth now and again. Maybe when we decide to stake our claim on arctic oil reserves and fishing resources, the fangs and claws will come out....

Until then, though, I'd be happy to see a medal count of 0. Just because it's all aboot the spirit of competition, eh?

Flocons said...

There's nothing that will fix a low medal count like military conquest. Let's invade St. Pierre and Miquelon! It will show the world that Canada still has enough gusto to roll over a small forgotten island colony.

celestialspeedster said...

Regarding the under-funding of Canadian athletes, there is an informative article here.

Summary: government funding has already been committed but too late for 2008.