Saturday, July 26, 2008

Possibly never again

I hate to be one of those many idiots at Comic Con who blog about Comic Con as it is happening, but in my defence, it is 7am local time and I have access to free internet at my hotel.

I have not enjoyed Comic Con 2008 and this can be blamed entirely on the organizers who over sold their membership badges. The simple act of walking within a block of the San Diego Convention Center, much less inside the actual building, has been an exercise in road rage. It feels much like being in the hottest club in town on a Saturday night except the clubbers are wider or carrying huge bags or pushing strollers.

If this was my first experience of Comic Con, I might well accept this experience as par for course. The problem is that I have my amazing 2006 experience to refer to. In 2006, the event was busy but not crazy. I was able to easily get into highly coveted events like a discussion by Stan Lee and John Romita Sr., and the "Battlestar Galatica" panel. Alex even ran into Joss Whedon. This year, extreme lineups prevented me from getting anywhere near Joss Whedon's event, and I was also barred from seeing Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright for the same reason. On the plus side, I saw the actor who starred in South American martial arts film, Chinango.

Nerds are waiting behind me, eager to also type about their experiences so I will end this blog entry here. I can only hope that organizers will wade through the many gushing blog entries and heed the warning that is featured in this one: lower your attendance numbers or expect them to be lowered for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Chinango guy? Did you get a picture of him putting his knee against his ear?