Friday, July 11, 2008

Hello from outside

I don't mean to neglect this blog but summer is here and I don't have much to say. Well, there are a few topics that come to mind:

Summer of anticipation
This has been an excellent summer for movies. Iron Man and Wall-E have lived up to expectations, and while The Incredible Hulk, Wanted and Hellboy II have not, they were not terrible. In fact, my anticipation of this summer movie season has been about as enjoyable as watching the films themselves; I'm pretty sure the trailers for Hancock and Get Smart are more satisfying than the actual products. Next up: The Dark Knight and all the delicious anticipation that a sequel featuring a buzz-worthy performance by a dead actor can generate.

The iPhone soap opera
The iPhone drama in Canada finally proves that Apple enthusiasts have neither self-control nor dignity. While Apple consumers took a stand in protest when Rogers first announced their stingy data plans, they quickly folded when Rogers offered the equivalent of a cheap bouquet and a half-assed apology. As in any abusive relationship, Rogers is guaranteed to go back to its old ways and after August 31, will resume reaming its customers once more.

Infestation of hacks
I had not read Metro News in a while when I discovered that their resident film reviewer, Norm Wilner had been replaced by a teenage boy named Steve Gow. I base this assumption of immaturity on the quality of the writing alone: childish, derivative and colloquial. Some may attribute these same words to my writing though critics should keep in mind that this is a blog and not a nationwide newspaper. It may be too much to hope for Pauline Kael in a free newspaper but I do expect more from a published and credited writer than "Genghis friggin’ Khan, baby!" Another revelation of clumsy writing at Metro News: Sandy Caetano. It is not a stretch to imagine Sandy dotting her 'i's with hearts when she gushes about Canadian Idol. Thankfully, Metro News has retained Rick McGinnis. The day that budget cuts force Metro News to let Rick McGinnis go is the day their publisher should hire me. I guarantee all the finesse of both Steve Gow and Sandy Caetano at half the friggin' price, baby!

5 comments:

Vicki said...

To be fair, Metro's readers are mostly in the 18-35-year-old category--young commuters who, if you were to hear the marketing people tell it, are "'net savvy" and "hip to the lingo" and "don't mind the occasional youth voice" or some such nonsense. Hence the increased attention to video game, comic book, and CD reviews.

Which is to say, go read your Globe and Mail somewhere else, you latte-drinking elitist. 8 )

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to rebutt and say that Metro had/have some very good writers. I have nothing against youth oriented writing but the content should not be dumbed down.

I enjoy the section written by Jonathan P. Kuehlein about comics but his writing style does not make me want to hurt myself in the same way Steve Gow's does.

In fact I was shocked when I found out that Steve Gow was a middle aged man and not someone straight out of highschool.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Metro SHOULD hire you - at least people would be informed AND cracking up from your witty slights and observations.

I think you would make just as good a writer (if not better) as any of the "professionals."

I actually do read the Metro and have yet to get through it without finding at least one glaring spelling mistake. This has not stopped me, of course, but it does surprise me - isn't the editor supposed to catch these before they go to print?

Flocons said...

I can't believe you ranted about crappy writers at Metro without mentioning "The Hunt" by Amit Paul. I firmly believe Amit is paid by the word, based on the number of run on sentences in his column. I've never seen anyone manage to bloat (something that could be explained in) a paragraph into a rambling news article.

Anonymous said...

Less than a year later budget cuts have forced me out of Metro - but I don't think they're hiring anyone to replace me or the other writers who were laid off, as the "position has been eliminated."