Friday, May 30, 2008

So far, so green

On my third day of temporary vegetarianism, I am feeling good. No blood lust has set in, and my cat is healthy and whole.

To celebrate my first day of vegetarianism, I ate dinner at a swanky vegetarian cafeteria called Commensal. There were many tasty choices like salads, quiche, lasagna, and various bean and tofu dishes. It was hard to stop loading the plate. At the cash register, my eyes grew as large as saucers when my total came to $17.

After looking over the plates of other diners at Commensal, I realized that the source of my financial downfall was the weight of my choices. If I had loaded up on leafy salads like everyone else, I would have paid less since Commensal charges by the gram.

The next day, I decided to try a more affordable option for dinner. I used those coupons I received at the Green Toronto Festival to buy some It's All Good products: Veggie Chick'n Breasts and Veggie Beef Strips. For dinner, I had one of the Veggie Chick'n Breast, which was tasty, then promptly put it to the test by running six miles with Flocons. Based on this experience, I can conclude that eating a vegetarian meal will give you more energy to run than running without food or water. Poor Flocons.

Half a package of Veggie Beef Strips along with some asparagus made up my lunch today. The Beef Strips were not as delicious as the Chick'n Breast but still quite good. If you are interested in finding out if I am lying, here's the coupon for It's All Good products.

The one thing that has surprised me about my foray into vegetarianism is that I have not suffered from hunger, as many of my vegetarian friends have. Maybe it is because I have tried to keep protein high in my diet.

Now that the weekend has arrived, we will see if I can stay the course when friends view my temporary vegetarianism as a sporting event. I must stay strong...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Even a small reduction in one's consumption of meat, particularly red, would have a positive impact on your health and the environment. Sooo...what shall we have for din on Monday? :)