Sunday, April 20, 2008

Predictable Idiots in College Park

Joe and I walked by College Park today and, to our amazement, it wasn't solely populated by pigeons for once. Instead, it was the meeting place for a marijuana smoke-in. Whoops!

Unlike other drug addicts, potsmokers tend to elicit scorn rather than fear in me. In part, this is because potsmokers are usually too lazy to engage in violent behaviour, which may be why I did not see any cops covering the rally. But, more importantly, they are so damn predictable.

Besides the 'activists' who were just sitting on the ground and smoking up, the rest were doing what you would expect:
  • Waving Canadian flags where the maple leaf has been replaced with a cannibis leaf - check
  • Playing tribal drums - check
  • Feeling the music - check
  • Playing hacky sack - check

    When I got home, I decided to do a search on the internet to see if a call to rally could confirm what I saw and found this online forum.

  • It made me laugh that one forum poster had a signature that stated:

    First they came for the Communists,and I did not speak up because i wasn't a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak up because i wasn't a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me,and i did speak up because i'm a marijuana activist.

    This is obviously a bastardization of "First they came...", the famous poem about the dangers of political apathy. However, in a complete 180 degree turn, this pothead has turned the message into a proudly, self-serving declaration. Bravo!

    If ever there was a law against stupidity, the closest would have to be laws against widespread use of marijuana.

    1 comment:

    Vicki said...

    Reminds me of some lyrics from a Phil Ochs song (I can't believe I actually beat John "60s protest song guy" McGrath to this):

    Smoking marijuana is more fun than drinking beer,
    But a friend of ours was captured and they gave him thirty years
    Maybe we should raise our voices, ask somebody why
    But demonstrations are a drag, besides we're much too high
    And I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
    Outside of a small circle of friends...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bSqSdto5g&feature=related