Sunday, October 01, 2006

Nuit Blanche Part Trois!

From the impressive turnout throughout the night, I would say that Nuit Blanche was a success. In spite of the chilly, wet weather, large masses of people clutching Nuit Blanche booklets were seen roaming all over the downtown core, even as I bowed out shortly after 1am.

Complementing the official events were entertainers with an entrepreneurial spirit. Like the guys who cruise in their convertibles through the club district during the summer, the neon cyclist seen above was a creative type taking advantage of a ready audience. While stopped at a red light, I ran up to him and asked if I could take his photo. He didn't reply but instead, reached down to switch on additional lighting on the frame of his bike for an even more photogenic experience.

Also taking advantage of a mob ready to be entertained was Zanta, profiled by Flocons. The Toronto street character posed for photographs with enthusiastic fans and, contrary to appearances, was coherent enough to direct me to turn my flash on when my camera failed to capture his pose. I followed his advice and got the image on the left.

The Church of the Redeemer was an official Nuit Blanche site. Kelly Mark's neon sign spelling out "Hold That Thought" was prominently placed above the church's front doors. That was the extent of the exhibit. Yet, misguided art enthusiasts streamed into the open doors of the church looking for more and the church did not turn them away. In a possible PR/flash conversion strategy, visitors were allowed to flood the church, sit in the pews and line up for confessions. My companion, Ken, joked about Indulgences being for sale which sent me running out the doors to the nearest bank machine.

I saw much more than I have listed in my blog but not as much as I had intended. For instance, I completely missed Zone C, which featured the Queen West galleries. My only hope is that Nuit Blanche will become an annual event and return next year. And knowing what I know now, I will prepare by sleeping all day Saturday, wearing hiking boots, and sustain myself on a steady supply of Red Bull from a hydration backpack. Oh caffeine, how much I needed thee!

No comments: