Sunday, October 01, 2006

Nuit Blanche Madness!

I'm sorry to say that I only lasted from 8:30pm to 1:30am but I enjoyed myself thoroughly and can barely think straight. Here are some highlights from my experience of Nuit Blanche.

Fog in Toronto #71624 by Fujiko Nakaya
In the thick of the installation, created by numerous fog machines, you couldn't see more than a few feet in front of you. Luckily, noone was running around haphazardly thanks to the slippery mud underfoot. The majority of pedestrians stayed on the asphalt walkway to avoid the mud, creating a traffic jam reminiscent of rush hour on the Don Valley Parkway.

The Pillow Fight League
The fighters and referees flew in from nowhere and set up a fight circle outside the Royal Ontario Museum. All the fighters were costumed women who were ready to rumble for three minutes. After the two athletes seen above finished their bout (the fighter in the black won according to judges picked from the audience), spectators were invited to try their hand at the sport. I narrowly avoided being volunteered into the ring by my 'friends' and missed out on a mouthful of pillow. The crowd chanted like bloodthirsty children in the schoolyard: "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Ballroom Dancing by Darren O'Donnell
Darren O'Donnell was the mastermind behind Haircuts by Children, which I supported in theory previously. Now, he tries to convince people to trust 10-year-old DJs. From the lengthy lineup outside the venue, I would say that the majority of attendees were convinced. Inside the gym was a massive dodgeball session involving adults. Noone was really dancing to the Beyoncé track chosen and played by an actual 10-year-old DJ. Everyone was just intent on bouncing a ball off someone's head - again, like bloodthirsty children. I was balled in the face three times.

More photos to come later. Must sleep now.

No comments: