Monday, May 08, 2006

Children are the future

My recent fixation with babies, especially celebrity spawn, has matured. My gaze now turns to prepubescent children 8 to 11 years old.

When I was looking after children at a summer camp, this was my favourite age group. They are old enough to be interesting to talk to ("If you fell three stories onto that cement floor, your head would definitely smash in." "No way! I'd just break my legs!") but young enough to enjoying playing games (they were addicted to 'Museum Statue' - a game that required them to stay still lest the 'museum guard' caught them moving).

But enough with fun and games. It is time to put lazy North American children to work. Haircuts by Children is a performance piece put on by Grade 5-6 children. The kids wield scissors and offer free haircuts to any brave adult.

The whole idea behind Haircuts by Children is placing trust in the younger generation and playfully targeting the disenfranchisement of children. An unusual degree of trust is placed in the young stylists and in their creative skills and competency.

Thinking back to my young summer camp charges, I think this is a great idea. Most 10 and 11 year olds will take their responsibility over a person's appearance seriously. Having stated my support, I must admit that I won't be going for a haircut. My vanity fears the future.

Call 416.703.5491 to book your appointment today, or drop by to watch.

Saturday, May 13, 2006, Noon - 4pm
Wisdom's Barber & Beauty Salon, 1754 Eglinton Avenue West (East of Dufferin)

Saturday, May 20, 2006 Noon - 4pm
Camille Unisex Beauty Lounge, 1524 Queen Street West (West of Lansdowne)

Saturday, May 27 and Sunday, May 28, 2006, Noon - 4pm
Queen's Quay Hair Design and Esthetic, 208 Queens Quay West, Unit #8 (across from Harbourfront Centre) as part of the Milk International Children's Festival of the Arts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Trust the children as they will be in charge of your future retirement pension."

I'm sure all our parents are trembling in fear now! Muhahahahahaah!!!