Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Countdown to a firing


Based on the lacklustre response to my previous blog, it would seem that strangers do not have any more of a clue of what I should do than I do.

My daring career gamble has failed and before I turn to a life of crime, Joe has suggested that I take a mental break. However, shopping for clothes and a new job are not enough to keep me chipper.

I've started looking into new things to learn and as usual, the impractical and the ridiculous jump right out at me.

I've looked into the following courses:

  • Kendo - wielding a big stick and talking softly
  • Medieval Martial Arts - getting medieval on someone's ass for real
  • Learning a new language - forget professionally practical languages like Mandarin. I want to know how to ask for 80 chickens in Farsi, Russian or Ojibwa.
  • Tap dancing - every time life gets me down, I'll just start tapping my toes and my life will suddenly become a Hollywood musical. At worst, people will throw money at me.

It occurs to me that my life is like a buffet: low on longterm value but high on cheap thrills. Up next: convincing my boss to lay me off. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Leaving my job was the best thing I ever did. Of course, it was nearly killing me. Now I'm happily unemployed and seeking new and interesting creative avenues. If you can, get fired - it makes getting EI easier, or so they tell me. (I've yet to see the results of this.)

Flocons said...

If you're looking for wild and crazy fun in martial arts, I should warn you that martial arts focuses a lot of discipline and practice. There's a lot of following orders and repetition in martial arts training that might not be what you're looking for.

Anonymous said...

How about a job as a street performer? I've always thought that Toronto needs more of those. It should appeal to your artistic side. And not only that, but you could beat people with sticks - even FLAMING sticks - if that was part of your act.

If that doesn't appeal to you, perhaps some sort of "event planner"? (Yes, this is actually a serious suggestion) Imagine. People paying you to make their wedding look like some sort of ritualistic cannibal buffet. Don't know what sort of background you need for that, but I imagine you'd be good at it, and the creative freedom could be immense!

CHINANGO!!!