Thursday, April 06, 2006

Boredom drives the future

If you ever had a chance to scan my work resumé, you would see that I have never worked for a single employer for more than two years. More charitable observers might say that I am ambitious and quick to jump on opportunity. The truth is that I bore easily and have a low tolerance for routine.

I am quickly approaching the second anniversary of my current occupation and I feel boredom setting in. Another sign that change is in the air is that I am seriously contemplating ridiculous career possibilities.

Here are samples of my insanity:

  • Secret Agent - I find it appealing that simple acts like making a phone call take on a special meaning
  • Criminal - the careful planning and patience required are probably beyond me
  • Dominatrix - you wouldn't have to pay me much to get a good beating

Poor Joe, who didn't even blink when I joined the equivalent of "clown college", has patiently pointed out why none of the aforementioned career paths are feasible. For instance, being a criminal means that jail time is an inevitable part of the learning curve. "Just look at George Clooney in Out of Sight and Ocean's 11," said Joe. True enough.

What do you think I should do next?

No comments: