Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Excitement at the door

Animals continue to enjoy relative safety from my mouth Mondays to Fridays, as my weekday vegetarian lifestyle continues. My diet consists mostly of tofu products and frozen vegetables, with only the occasional infusion of fresh fruit and vegetables. Our poor supply of fresh produce is due in part to ignorance ("How do you cook this?") and a reluctance to gamble on the unknown.

With a new year, we have decided to throw caution to the wind and sign up with Front Door Organics. FDO will deliver a box of pre-selected fresh, organic fruits and vegetables to our door, once a week or less frequently.

This week, we can expect to receive:
1 pound of Yams
1 pound of Beets
1 head of Cabbage
1 bunch of Broccoli
1 Grapefruit
5 Apples - mixed variety
4 Pears, Anjou
5 Bananas - Fair Trade
2 pounds of Tangerines
3 Avocados
1 bunch of Collard Greens
1 unit of Lettuce, 'Summer mix'

A common complaint amongst subscribers to the service is that food often went bad before they could consume it. Thus, I hope that my hatred of waste will compel me to shovel a wide variety of delicious and nutritious fruits and vegetables down my cake hole, and Joe's pie hole, too.

We have yet to receive our first package but I predict that it will feel like Christmas morning, but without the bloating, and the pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Flocons said...

My co-worker told me about this service. He said that someone in his neighbourhood organized it so that there would be one central pick-up location for a cluster of people. They split up a large shipment between everyone.

Flocons said...

Oops... maybe he was talking about this service: Green Earth Organics

celestialspeedster said...

Actually, your co-worker was probably referring to FoodShare. It is the most affordable organic produce delivery service because you still need to go pick it up from a neighbour. The pricing is very attractive but we couldn't reach anyone at FoodShare, which points to aggravation in the future if problems arise.

Flocons said...

Holy crap... I didn't know there were so many companies out there doing this. If only there was a company that delivered magical cuts of raw meat to my front door... "What did we get this week... a 20 pound turkey, a 6 pound duck, and a 4 pound chicken. Hmm... what to cook?"

Thorn said...

Turducken is God's gift to man. I also enjoy fresh organic fruits and vegetables, that is also God's gift to man.

Dangard Ace said...

Also known as Chinatown. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies there every day!

Added bonus, you can buy meat at the same time! Woot!

Meat = pre-processed vegetables.

Anonymous said...

Good job! I've been wanting to do this for a while but never seem to get to it. Although I am worried about lack of control over what you receive (aka I'm not a big fan of Canadian veg in the winter months i.e. cabbage, beets, etc). Let me know how it goes.

Thorn said...

The good thing about this, besides it being all organic, is that you are exposed to so many vegetables you'd never think of buying.

For example, celeriac. What the hell is that? There was an included recipe for celeriac and potato soup that turned out to be very tasty.