Sunday, April 15, 2007

Random points of interest

Two weeks into my new job and I have not been fired. In fact, I have been enjoying myself - especially when I signed up for the "Rolls Royce of pension plans". I have not been coherent enough for a long form entry but here are some random thoughts.

What you see above is the line up for Toonie Tuesday at KFC, when you can get two pieces of greasy chicken with some greasy fries for $2.49. The line up crossed the width of the food court. Previously, I had thought that the media were preaching to the converted in their repeat focus on Canadian obesity. I was wrong. Price trumps nutrition any day. Bring on the fried Grade F tripe!

This sake brand is obviously not even trying to market itself beyond the lonely housewife demographic. Can you imagine the average Japanese salaryman ordering the "lovely pink bottle" while out with the boys?



Here is a trio of little ladies: Tiffany in the pink, Bowie in the yellow and Suhaila being doted on. Whereas other people see "cute", I see a variation on Y: The Last Man.

I saw a CBC documentary recently that explored an Aboriginal Reservation located near a toxic dump. Since being tranplanted there, the community has experienced an unprecedented number of girls being born versus boys. The predominance of female babies has caused concern amongst researchers who point to the toxic dump as the probable cause for this phenomenon.

As I look at all the little girls I know: Tiffany, Bowie, Suhaila, Rachel, and Ava, I can't help but think that I know too many of them. What has happened to the little boys? Will supply and demand drive our little girls to lesbianism or the nunnery.

Luckily, China's one child policy and preference for boys will save the world population. All our excess Canadian girls will oneday be able to marry a bunch of Chinese boys 20 years their senior who, nonetheless, will still be playing the video games their parents lovingly bought "their little emperor".

Finally, I would like to express my excitement at finding some new music that I enjoy. Admittedly, most of my selections have a retro feel to them, but nothing is more pathetic than a person who complains that music isn't as good as it used to be. That's like one foot in the retirement home.

Please check out:
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Tracey Thorn - Out of the Woods

Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds (Okay, Justin is a guilty pleasure that would be much more pleasant if Justin wore a paper bag over his head. But "My Love" makes me shake my junk!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm loving up the amy winehouse too! too bad both her upcoming shows are sold out!

if you thought the kfc line up is bad you shoudl see the line on whopper wednesday in lombard place/exchange tower

i just dont understand it. mind you i get a bit erked at paying 8$ for a salad at lettuce for lunch.. to get something healthy when i'm too lazy to shop

Anonymous said...

The reason why your salad or any healthy food costs that much is because it is probably 100% real. Cheap food tends to have fillers like fat, sand, and sawdust.