Monday, January 29, 2007

The Doppleganger Dinner

In a previous blog entry, I revealed an on-going fascination I have with a woman who possesses the exact same name as me but whom I have never met. Her existence became known to me thanks to the magic of Google. Through the tidbits of information gleaned from random webpages, I became convinced that I knew enough about her to give updates about her life to her own acquaintances.

I was reminded of 'mein doppleganger' at a recent dinner. The hostess had invited people using Evite and hence, guests were able to see who was attending and who was not. Upon arrival, there was some surprise when the person that some guests had expected to catch up with was really a stranger with the exact same first and last name. Being adults, everyone swallowed their disappointment about this fraud with tight throats and a wonderful time was had by all!

The experience got me thinking about creating opportunities for people to meet with their dopplegangers; a Doppleganger Dinner if you will. After agreeing on a safe, public place to meet, guests would troll the internet for people possessing the same name as them then try inviting them to the dinner. Even in failure, the stories of confusion and restraining orders should provide chuckles all around.

Please tell me if you are interested and I will finally have an excuse to contact a stranger who will, without a doubt, regard me with horror and distrust.

Or just try using Google to find out about the lives of people with the same name as you and leave your findings in Comments. I'll settle for that, too.

3 comments:

Flocons said...

Sign me up. I will try to rally as many clones as I can.

celestialspeedster said...

Really, this should become the Flocons Doppleganger Dinner because no one else has signed up, you have tons of dopplegangers, and my lone doppleganger will probably ignore me

It would still be fun.

Anonymous said...

My doppleganger is an artist who makes "sexual jewelery." Too bad she's in the states.