Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Thanks for nothing, Vincent Lam

Photo: Rick Madonik/Toronto Star
I was shocked and dismayed to learn that Vincent Lam had won the Giller Prize yesterday. It is the fairy tale ending to a fantastic journey that saw a hospital ER doctor write a book of short stories, get published, then get nominated for a prestigious literary award.
I am not objecting to the excellence of Dr. Lam's work, Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures, since I have not read it nor the work of any of the other nominees. What I am upset about is the nonstop grief that I will get from my parents when they hear about the win.
For years, my parents tried to wean me onto the idea of becoming a doctor. "You're smart," they kept insisting before referring to a memory feat I used to perform as a preschooler where I would recall my father's credit cards in order. To my mind, this showed the promise of a great con artist and not a doctor. Plus, a second aunt, twice removed or whatever, was also a doctor so by some genetic relation, I should also have medical abilities in me, so the logic went.
Unfortunately for my parents, science and math did not come easily to me. English and visual arts did. I fought for years with my parents to avoid becoming a doctor or a nurse or a scientist. On angst alone, I was bound to become an artist, a profession my parents equated with "living on the street."
I finally got my way and my parents settled into a state of resignation. I had my fun with art for a few years but it turns out that my parents were right: art doesn't pay.
As I struggle to find a more practical way to make a living, it's a bitter pill to see Dr. Lam dabble successfully in both worlds. His winning novel will only rouse my parents to wag their finger at me, saying, "See! You could have become a doctor and done art successfully as a hobby, too." To his credit, Dr. Lam objects to anyone referring to his writing as a hobby since it hardly qualifies as a relaxing pasttime for him. I pout sullenly, nonetheless.
So, thanks Vincent Lam, thanks a lot. You have raised the bar for scientific and artistic professionals everywhere and given at least one set of Asian parents fodder for another round of 'I told you so'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? They never suggested you becoming a pill-counting pharmacist? :-)